The Woosamonsa Schoolhouse was used for regular instruction and Sunday school classes for 42 years and was retired from school service in 1918. The School District transferred the property to the care of a group of interested citizens, the Woosamonsa Association, in 1922 for $1.00. Since then, the building has been owned and maintained by trustees of that association, neighbors who are dedicated to preserving the schoolhouse and protecting this community treasure.
The building is a favorite stopping point for historians (and tired bicyclists!) who want to visit a true New Jersey landmark. Although the schoolhouse is closed most of the year, it is open for visitors annually in June for the Strawberry Social. Guests are encouraged to come and visit with neighbors and enjoy strawberry shortcake, ice cream and music while soaking up a bit of the past.
Last year’s Strawberry Social was a wild success! This event is our annual fundraiser and your ticket price helps keep the Schoolhouse in top shape and looking good for many years to come.
In 2019, a ramp was installed at the rear entrance to the schoolhouse that allows for easier access for members of the community who are unable to navigate the front steps. This ramp was conceived and built by Anna Lauricella and a team of volunteers as part of her Girl Scout Award project. We were pleased to be able to partially fund this project with donations from the previous year’s Strawberry Social.